WHAT IS SENIOR OUTREACH?
Senior Outreach is a program designed to offer resources, support and advocacy to Hastings Village Elders 62 and over. The program is staffed by a dedicated Senior Outreach Worker, who is available to answer questions, help with forms, research resources, and offer assurance when needed. Residents are encouraged to drop in during scheduled hours or call for an appointment. The Senior Outreach office is located within the Recreation Department Office at the James Harmon Community Center at 44 Main Street in downtown Hastings on Hudson. Consultations are confidential and private conference rooms are available if desired. The Senior Outreach Worker can be reached directly by calling (914) 478-2586 or email email@example.com
WHAT KINDS OF HELP ARE AVAILABLE?
- Telephone assurance and home visits when needed by appointment
- Assistance with Medicare selection
- Billing disputes
- Shopping transportation and delivery referrals
- Referrals to Savings Programs unique to fixed income retirees
- Referrals for home healthcare, and other services available to keep frail elderly and younger recuperating seniors healthy at home.
- Arrange for speakers on subjects of interest to elder residents
- Advocate for programs or space for residents to run their own programs from the Community Center
- Information about current arts, leisure, and educational programs in the area
- Volunteer opportunities (offering or receiving services)
- Housing issues: section 8, NYS STAR program, Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption, Assisted Living and Long Term Nursing Facilities
- Caregiver Support: Referrals to Support Groups, Day Care, at home assistance
- Transportation: Referrals to transportation alternatives
- Research other resources for needs of residents and remotely living family members. If you don’t see it here, call and ask.
HOW WILL HASTINGS MEET THE GROWING NEEDS OF OUR AGING POPULATION?
Hastings has a group of highly motivated and talented people serving on the “Senior Advisory Council” The Senior Advisory Council meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 2:00 PM in the lower level conference room of the James Harmon Community Center. Many volunteers are working to make Hastings on Hudson as much a village to grow old in as it is to raise children in. In addition our village has partnered with the Center For Aging in Place “CAPS” to research grants, resources and other successful models of asset based community building to meet the needs of our elders. We are also partners with the Livable Communities Connection a private public partnership between the County and NPOs to prepare for the future while expanding the programs available